FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (June 19, 2020) — An Inter Miami player tested positive for COVID-19 following a round of mandatory testing this week, the club announced Thursday night. The team declined to tell us the identity of the player.
“Inter Miami’s medical staff is working directly with local infectious disease specialists to treat the player, who was asymptomatic and has been observing isolation protocols since he self-identified being in close contact with an individual who showed mild symptoms during a health screening questionnaire administered daily to players,” the club said in a statement.
Inter Miami began full-squad training last week at its Fort Lauderdale training facility and players were being tested every other day.
Atlanta United also announced on Thursday that one of its “first-team” players tested positive for the coronavirus with no additional staff or players testing positive. The player was asymptomatic and has been observing isolation protocol since the result. FC Dallas is reported to have as many as six players who have tested positive for the virus, while a player from the Philadelphia Union has also tested positive earlier this spring.
The team is scheduled to resume its season on July 8 against Orlando City in the opening match of the league-wide tournament at Disney’s ESPN Wide World of Sports complex in Kissimmee, Florida. All 26 teams are scheduled to be sequestered at the Swan and Dolphin resort.
The tournament format includes three group games followed by a knockout round, and culminates with a final on Aug. 11. After that, the league is hoping to return to each team’s home markets.
Inter Miami says it “continues to work in close consultation with the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, local health authorities and Major League Soccer regarding testing and training guidelines, as well as with adhering to proper physical distancing and sanitation protocols in its facilities during team activities.”