Combining a passion for the beautiful game with years of experience as a lawyer practising in business and real estate law / transactions, it only seemed a natural transition to field the name Russo Law and Soccer, which for marketing purposes is shortened to “Russo Soccer” in order to emphasise my focus on the game and it’s sporting and business components.
Russo Soccer aims to inform, provide insight, and educate through effective communication.
As a lawyer who was involved in transactions, there was not a day that went by in the office where communications didn’t come into play. Being able to effectively and coherently interact with clients, stakeholders, and colleagues is an essential legal skill.
As a consultant and lawyer in sports management, with a primary focus on football (soccer), I draw on competencies which include strong verbal and written communication skills, foreign language fluencies/proficiencies, public speaking and attention to detail. Knowledge if contracts is a great asset.
Applying transactional experience in a legal setting, I am well-disposed to focus on transactional matters for a club. These may include drafting, negotiating and administering legal aspects of sponsorship agreements, intellectual property licenses, contest terms and conditions, and independent contractor and service provider agreements; perform legal review of all marketing and promotional materials. I can also the General Counsel in compliance activities in employment, MLS and USL league compliance. I am also an astute problem solver and issue spotter, as well as a capable researcher. Most of all, I love soccer.
Consultation can include the following areas:
- Advising stakeholders on rules interpretation and compliance matters;
- Guidance on rules, regulations, and policies applicable to clubs, leagues and organisations, including those of Major League Soccer, Concacaf, UEFA and FIFA;
- Content development, strategy, strategic communications, preparation for interviews with media;
- Press Releases and other communiqués;
- Entity formation, corporate filings, bylaws, limited liability companies, operating agreements, etc.
Familiarity with Major League Soccer, USL Championship, USL1, La Liga (First and Second Divisions) The Premier League, Serie A, Ligue 1, Bundesliga, Liga NOS, and Canadian Premier League.