Methods of Removing a Player from a Roster
Clubs may waive players based on performance at any time during the MLS season. A club may waive a Semi-Guaranteed Player at any time during the regular season until 48 hours prior to the Contract Guarantee Date. A club may waive a Guaranteed or Semi-Guaranteed Player after the Contract Guarantee Date only with League approval. Clubs may not waive a player between the Roster Freeze Date and MLS Cup.
Semi-Guaranteed Players waived on or after the Contract Guarantee Date of any League Year and Guaranteed Players waived anytime, and who clear waivers (i.e., not picked up by another club), will continue to have their Salary Budget Charge count against the Club Salary Budget. The club waiving the player will not receive a replacement player.
Transfers and Loans
An MLS player may be transferred or loaned at any time to a non-MLS club (subject to the receiving club’s applicable Federation’s transfer window), and subject to the consent of the player. Upon loaning a player, clubs will receive roster relief but not Salary Budget relief unless otherwise agreed to in the loan agreement.
Transfer and Loan Fees
The revenue share from transfers or loans for clubs is as follows:
- A club shall receive three quarters (3/4) of the corresponding transfer or loan fee revenue (including agent fees and other expenses), from any transaction involving a player that is NOT a Homegrown Player, Generation adidas Player, or player acquired via the MLS SuperDraft.
- If a Designated Player is transferred or loaned, the club will receive all amounts of the transfer or loan fee revenue until it has recouped all out-of-pocket cash payments made by the club in connection to that player prior to any sharing arrangement with the League. After such recoup, the transfer or loan of the Designated Player shall be treated as any other transfer with the club receiving three quarters (3/4) of the corresponding transfer or loan fee revenue.
- A club shall receive 100 percent of the corresponding transfer or loan fee revenue (including agent fees and other expenses) from any transaction involving a Homegrown Player (regardless of service years).
- A club shall receive the transfer or loan fee revenue (including agent fees and other expenses) from any transaction involving a Generation adidas Player or player acquired via the MLS SuperDraft based on the number of MLS service years:
|MLS Service Years||Transfer/Loan Fee Revenue to Club|
- All remaining portions of the transfer or loan revenue fees are retained by the League.
Usage of Revenue