Villarreal – Atlético In Miami ? The Latest

The round 16 game would be the first regular season match of LaLiga Santander to be presented outside of Spain.

MIAMI, Fla. (October 17, 2019) —

LaLiga is continuing its attempts to stage an official league game in the United States by proposing that the Villarreal-Atletico Madrid match scheduled for the weekend of December 7-8 be played at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami Gardens.

Having previously attempted to arrange a game in Miami last season between Barcelona and Girona, LaLiga seem determined to make the event happen.

Spanish newspaper El Confidencial first reported that an agreement is already in place between LaLiga and both clubs to play the match in Miami, which would be a designated home game for Villarreal:

Tal y como hiciera la temporada pasada, aunque finalmente sin éxito, LaLiga estudia llevarse un partido de Primera División fuera de España, y más concretamente a Estados Unidos. Tras el fiasco del Girona-Barça del curso anterior que tanta polémica suscitó, el presidente de la patronal, Javier Tebas, no ceja en su empeño de expandir “la industria del fútbol español” a otros continentes, especialmente el norteamericano.

Support From Both Clubs

Today, LaLiga Santander confirmed that both Atlético de Madrid and Villarreal have agreed to play their December 6 meeting in the United States. The game is set for Friday, December 6 at 22:00 CET (16:00 EST), but there is also talk of playing the match on Sunday, December 8, 2019, which from the standpoint of ticket sales in Miami makes more sense. They now hope that the Spanish FA, among other governing bodies, consents.

“Atletico Madrid work every season to promote our brand across all continents.”

Miguel Angel Gil, CEO, Atlético de Madrid
Miguel Angel Gil, CEO, Club Atlético de Madrid Photo: RTVE

“A match in the US would allow us to continue working on it,” Gil added. “Additionally, we’d bring Spanish football to fans outside our country. It’d be a great game that would mark the future.”

Villarreal president Fernando Roig joined with the sentiments. “Everything about exporting football and Spanish sport is good for everyone,” he said. “And, of course, for Villarreal. The US is a very important country where we have official club academies. It would be very special for us to play there.”

“It would be positive for everyone.” Fernando Roig, President, Villareal C.F.

The Villareal President went on to say: “I hope this time it comes to fruition. We’re starting to see if Villarreal-Atleti can be played in Miami,” Villarreal president Fernando Roig told El Transistor. “Both us and Atleti have agreed to play in Miami, but I would like this to be a consensual agreement from everyone. I would like there to be a consensual agreement because I think that taking LaLiga abroad would be good for everyone.”

The club also said it would work out a plan to reimburse ticket holders who would not be able to see the game played at the Estadio de la Cerámica, although the precise nature of the reimbursement has not yet been revealed.

Sanctioning Process

The next step in the process to bring the Round 16 match to Hard Rock Stadium is for LaLiga to make a formal application to the Real Federación Espanola de Fútbol (RFEF) which is the licensing body of spanish football. LaLiga intends to file this application today, October 17. The league has also informed the players on both sides prior to announcing the plan. In addition to the RFEF, LaLiga will once again seek the approval of UEFA, and the United States Soccer Federation.

Prior Plan Scrapped

In August 2018, LaLiga announced that it would play at least one match per season overseas as part of a new 15-year partnership with Relevent Sports Group to promote the league in North America. But a proposed game between FC Barcelona and Girona at Hard Rock Stadium for January 2019 was shelved after Barcelona’s board of directors backed out of the match, citing “a lack of consensus” among stakeholders.

While the Barça board cited a lack of consensus, the real reason was that the RFEF, along with UEFA, FIFA and the United States Soccer Federation, had not approved the game.

The fallout from the failure of these bodies to approve last season’s match continues. In September, LaLiga’s North American partner Relevent Sports Group filed an antitrust lawsuit against the USSF (ÜS Soccer”) in the United States District Court For The Southern District of New York, alleging that Us Soccer conspired with global governing body FIFA and Soccer United Marketing, the commercial arm of Major League Soccer, to block official matches from foreign clubs being held in the U.S. There is also a similar lawsuit between LaLiga and the RFEF over the right to stage games overseas.

Economic Benefit To Both Clubs

Both Atlético de Madrid and Villareal CF are looking to increase their presence in the North American market, Atletico Madrid toured the U.S. this summer, including participating in the MLS All-Star Game. Having a regular season match in Miami would be a boost to the marketing of both clubs.

Miami is the leading choice for holding LaLiga games in the United States, given the league is in a fifteen-year agreement with Relevant Sports, which is tied in to the ownership group of Hard Rock Stadium and the Miami Dolphins NFL franchise. Hard Rock Stadium, originally opened in 1987 and known as Joe Robbie Stadium, has undergone extensive upgrades in recent years, and is perfectly suited to host soccer matches. It even has the look of a modern European football arena. On top of that, Miami traditionally has among the highest support for soccer of any city in North America, given its large percentage of the population with ties to Latin America, and, to a lesser extent, Europe.

Photo: Hard Rock Stadium

Recapítulo En Castellano:

  • El organismo presidido por Javier Tebas cuenta con la aprobación de ambos clubes, que ven la propuesta como una oportunidad histórica. El encuentro se disputaría el domingo 8 de diciembre.
  • Por segundo año consecutivo, LaLiga estudia seriamente la posibilidad de llevarse un partido de la Primera División española a tierras estadounidenses.
  • Javier Tebas no ceja en su empeño de expandir más el mercado del fútbol nacional a otros continentes, especialmente el americano.
  • Ambos clubes implicados están de acuerdo con la iniciativa, asi lo aseguró Fernando Roig, presidente de Villarreal, más tarde en declaraciones al programa ‘El Transistor’ de Onda Cero: “Es bueno para que exportemos LaLiga a un país tan importante. No hay problemas por parte del Atleti. Esperamos que todo siga su curso”.
  • LaLiga presente que el enfrentamiento entre castellonenses y madrileños se juegue en Miami (Florida) en el Hard Rock Stadium, junto a la misma empresa promotora, Relevent.
  • Este pasado martes José Manuel Llaneza, vicepresidente del club amarillo, se reunió en Madrid con miembros de LaLiga para comprobar algunos detalles y dar su visto bueno a la operación.
  • El Villarreal compensará a sus aficionados, los grandes damnificados por esta medida, de alguna manera que todavía no se ha concretado. No se descarta que el club sufrage vuelos chárter para sus socios con la esperanza de que ningún abonado se quede sin disfrutar de un hecho que la junta directiva considera histórico. “Es posible. Estamos estudiando y viendo alternativas diferentes. No habrá problemas”, indicó Roig.
  • En su momento, la Federación (RFEF) se opuso por completo a que los partidos del campenato doméstico se celebraran fuera del país, pero se desconoce qué postura defenderá ahora una vez que ha maniobrado para organizar la próxima edición de la Supercopa de España en Arabia Saudí (del 8 al 12 de enero). Fue en septiembre de 2018 cuando la RFEF presidida por Luis Rubiales rechazó por completo la idea de un partido en Florida, que tampoco convenció a la FIFA ni a la AFE.

Exequiel Palacios Le Dijo “No” A Inter Miami. Sin Duda, Habrá Otros Que Digan “Sí”.

English version follows

Inter Miami CF, que empezará a competir en la MLS a partir del año que viene, estaba dispuesto a poner 20 millones de dólares pero el mediocampista prefiere irse a Europa.

Miami, Fla. (miercoles, 4 de septiembre de 2019) – Kenneth Russo

Al parecer, David Beckam parece tener una devoción por los jugadores argentinos. Esto lo está demostrando a partir de la búsqueda de jugadores jóvenes para su equipo de la MLS, el Inter Miami.

El equipo del exjugador inglés comenzará a participar de la MLS el próximo año y es por eso que se está armando para competir de la misma manera contra cualquiera de los equipos que están jugando en la actualidad.

En este caso, los dirigentes del club estaban dispuestos a desembolsar 20 millones de dólares por Exequiel Palacios, el juvenil de River Plate. El club se interesó mucho por la oferta debido a la importante suma que se ofreció. Sin embargo, el propio Palacios dijo que no estaba interesado en irse a jugar a Estados Unidos y dejó en claro que su futuro si no es en River será en el fútbol europeo.

El ascenso de Exequiel Palacios al estrellato ha sido excelente. El mediocampista se desplaza por todo el campo con sus carreras rápidas y su presión implacable. No es de extrañar que los clubes más grandes de Europa estén luchando para ficharlo. Los exploradores se refieren a él como una perspectiva increíble.

El Real Madrid es uno de los clubes que ya ha hablado con River sobre Palacios. Los Blancos han estado aprovechando el mercado sudamericano recientemente para atraer a algunas de las mejores estrellas jóvenes del continente.

Sin embargo, la plantilla actual lleva bien el nombre del equipo, con cuatro jugadores que llegarán de Argentina, Venezuela y Canadá. Pero por lo memento, Beckham no podrá sumar un tercer jugador argentino a los dos que ya forman parte del equipo: Matías Pellegrini, ex-Estudiantes de La Plata y Julián Carranza, ex-Club Atlético Banfield fueron los dos primeros refuerzos comprados por Internacional de la MLS. Sin duda, hay otros que decirán “sí”.


Exequiel Palacios Says “No” To Inter Miami. No Doubt, There Will Be Others Who Say “Yes.”

Inter Miami CF, which begins play in MLS next season, was prepared to spend $20 million USD, but the midfielder prefers to go to Europe.

It would seem that David Beckham has a devotion for Argentine players, as demonstrated by the search for young players for his club, Inter Miami. The former player’s team will begin to participate in MLS next season, and is arming itself to compete with any of the teams that play in the league at present.

In this case, the directors of the club were prepared to let go of $20 Million USD for Exequiel Palacios, the River Plate youth player. River was very interested in the offer due to the large sum that it would bring the club. Nevertheless, it was Palacios himself who was not interested in going to play in the United States. He made it very clear that if his future is not at River Plate then it will be in European football.

Exequiel Palacios’s rise to stardom has been excellent. The midfielder travels across the field with his fast runs and his relentless pressure. No wonder the biggest clubs in Europe are struggling to sign him. Scouts refer to him as an incredible prospect.

See Exequiel Palacios’ statistics from Transfermarkt

Real Madrid is one of the clubs that has spoken with River over Palacios. Los Blancos have been taking a long look at the South American market recently in order to attract some of the best young stars from the continent.

Nevertheless, the current roster of Inter Miami carries the name of the team well, with four players who will arrive from Argentina, Venezuela and Canada. However, at least for the moment, Beckham will not be able to add a third Argentine player to the two who already are on the roster: Matías Pellegrini, formerly of Estudiantes de La Plata and Julián Carranza, ex-Club Atlético Banfield were the first two players purchased by Internacional of MLS. Without a doubt, there will be others who say “yes.”


Highlights of Exequiel Palacios

Se Presentan La Canción De La Liga: Los Latidos Del Fútbol

LaLiga no tenía una música única, un sonido integrador y reconocible, una identidad sonora que hiciera que todos los fans del fútbol español se sintiesen identificados con ella. Hasta ahora

Granada, España (jueves, 15 de agosto del 2019) –

Vacationing in Spain seemed like a good time to highlight this story on La Liga’s new song.

Article is reprinted here:

Los latidos del futuro, compuesta por Lucas Vidal, ganador con solo 35 años de dos Goya (Palmeras en la nieve y Nadie quiere la noche) y un Emmy por la composición del tema musical de la cadena ESPN para los Juegos Olímpicos de Rio de Janeiro 2016, es la nueva banda sonora de LaLiga.

Una canción que une a los aficionados de todos los colores en las mismas notas musicales y un tema que demuestra que la pasión por el deporte rey está por encima de un equipo concreto. “Ha sido un sueño en mayúsculas. Recibí el encargo con gran emoción e inmediatamente supe que se trataba de una responsabilidad y que debía estar a la altura de la afición. Precisamente es el público el que me ha servido de inspiración, gracias a su latido al unísono, a su energía y a su entrega. Espero devolverles con esta identidad sonora la pasión que sienten al ver cada partido de LaLiga”, afirma Lucas Vidal.

— Read on

Los latidos del futuro

Antoine Griezmann has signed with Fútbol Club Barcelona

Miami, Fla. (Friday, July 12, 2019) –

It’s official. After months of rumours, French football star Antoine Griezmann is on his way to Catalunya. Fútbol Club Barcelona announced on Friday that they have come to terms with Atlético de Madrid after triggering Griezmann’s €120 million release clause. He has signed a five-year contract until June 30, 2024.

Griezmann, 28, tallied 133 goals and 56 assists through 256 matches with Atlético Madrid across all competitions. He has been capped 69 times for Les Bleues, scoring 28 goals and was a member of the 2018 FIFA World Cup Champions.

“I have decided to leave [Atlético], see other things, have other challenges and with great difficulty, this is what I feel and I need,” Griezmann said earlier this year. “It’s been five great years where I’ve won my first important trophies with a club. It’s been a very important stage.”

“I have enjoyed a lot, I have left everything in the field, I have tried to behave well, I have tried to give joy to the people who have come to the Metropolitano and also away from home, and I only have gratitude for all of you.”

His buyout clause with Barcelona is €800 million, making him one of the most expensive players in World football. Griezmann’s signing adds him to a potent Blaugrana attack that already features Lionel Messi and Luis Suarez. The move to Barcelona had been speculated for months in the media though there had never been any official comments from the Catalan club. The fact that the release clause in Griezmann’s contract went down from €200 million to €120 million on July 1 was good enough reason for Barça to wait.

Griezmann will be arriving in Barcelona on Sunday evening from Ibiza where he has been on vacation while waiting for Barcelona to call. He would then take the traditional photo at the Camp Nou in front of the club’s badge. On Monday the plans are for him to sign his contract with club president Josep María Bartomeu, while preparations are completed at the team store and auditorium (la Llotja del Camp Nou y el Auditori 1899), for the press conference and official presentation.

Barcelona will be going for its third consecutive LaLiga title, having also won an incredible 8 out of the past 11 titles in Spain. The UEFA Champions League, however, has proven to be a different story of late. Barcelona incredibly managed to lose in the knockout stages each of the past two years after having a three goal advantage on its opponents going into the return leg. This has prompted many fans to call for Manager Ernesto Valverde to be sacked, and for club President Bartomeu’s resignation.